I recently wrote a blog post complaining about Oracle Cloud being too Oracle-ish (which, duh…) Oracle Cloud provides two free ARM64 virtual machines which can run Linux or FreeBSD. I mean free is free, right? (the answer to that is emphatically no) so I jumped on board to give it a whirl. I migrated this website to a FreeBSD ARM64 instance and everything went swimmingly.
Ok, so far so good. During the migration of this website, I realized that I had made the management of the site itself way more difficult than it needed to be. (I blame my time spent in the trenches of a large Kubernetes cluster management… never again…) But I chalked it up to
that's modern website hosting, what're going to do?! :shrug: and promptly didn’t look at it again.
Until a few weeks later when I decided to upload a new blog post. Unfortunately, I had made the process too complex for my aging brain to easily recover from long term storage. I found I had installed multiple jails on the FreeBSD host system to perform various tasks. One for the hugo installation, another for the webserver, and another for a purpose that I completely forget offhand. At the time of building the system all of the jails seemed important (this is
Stockholm Kubernetes syndrome at work).
Thus, in a fit of pique with past John I decided to simplify my life and migrate away from a containerized system and to a simple webhost. So I installed OpenBSD on a Vultr VPS, setup
httpd with SSL and migrated jrgsystems to it.
My new process for updating the blog is
- startup “hugo serve -D” on my laptop in the base directory of my website repo
- edit a new blog post markdown file
- once I’m happy with post, generate page with “hugo”
- copy generated static site to OpenBSD using ansible playbook
- commit the changes to git
This workflow is easy for me to remember because I’m almost always at a system where
ansible are just a simple package install away.
Admittedly, I’m writing this blog post in order to facilitate tucking this new procedure into long term brain storage (it’s also in obsidian)!